Will I get paper mail, in 2019?
Despite the technological advances in our lives, there are still a bunch of things that are only be delivered via paper mail. These include:
- IRS notices – tax info, and bills
- Social security – info, benefits and checks
- INS notices – immigration notices
- Credit and Debit cards
- Drivers Licence
- Jury duty notices
- Hand written notes and cards
How does mail forwarding work?
When you move from one address to another, your mail needs to move too. You can either inform everyone who sends you physical mail- like your bank, the government, IRS, etc. of the new address, or you can simply forward your mail from your old address to the new one by filling out the change of address form with the USPS, when moving within the country.
Moving within the US
Permanent change of address: USPS will update your old address to your new one in their system. Any mail addressed to your old address will come to your new address.
This is a permanent change.
With this change, you should get a Virtual Mailbox so you can move as many homes or countries as you wish without ever changing your permanent address.
* * *
Temporary change of address: This method changes your address anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months at a time.
After the duration of change of address expires, USPS will stop forwarding your mail from the old to the new address.
The mail will start going back to your old address, unless you renew the forwarding again. You can do this again for 6 more months.
USPS does not state what happens after 6 months, but you could keep doing it on and on forever, if you wish.
Be prepared for delayed mail in the change of address process, mostly due to ineffectiveness of the US postal system.
The upside is this is a free service provided by USPS.
Moving outside the US
USPS will forward mail internationally, but for a steep cost.
You can enroll in the USPS overseas mail forwarding service, which costs $21.10 retail or $19.35 if you enroll online. There’s an extra cost of $21.10 for each week of service.
The service will cost you $84.40/month. You will also pay shipping for all Priority Mail items that USPS will ship immediately as they are received.
Not a cost effective way to forward your mail overseas.
Should I choose temporary or permanent mail forwarding to forward my mail?
The answer depends on your move:
- Are you an Expat moving overseas?
- Or moving cities within the US?
- Or moving homes within the same city?
- Are you moving to a permanent or a temporary home?
Kind of like your cell phone number – you don’t change that anymore when we move, why keep changing your permanent address?
If moving overseas, you will need to keep a US address for many reasons. A permanent change of address makes sense in this case.
If moving within the US or within a city, it depends on your preference whether you wish to get mail at home, a PO Box or a Virtual Mailbox. If former, do a change of address with USPS as mentioned above.
If you do not wish to give out your home address because you want it to stay private, or you get business mail or you get mail at different homes, you can have all that mail consolidated and be available via a Virtual Mailbox.
A mail forwarding service like US Global Mail will help you get your mail via a Virtual Mailbox, no matter where you move. You can see, read and take action on your mail online, which makes life so much easier and mail handling so easy.
Mail Forwarding Services:
Step by step of how it works: You sign up with a mail forwarding company and get a US address. This address is your anchor while you move around the globe. Your mail forwarding sign up will also come with a Virtual Online Mailbox. The process is simple:
- You get a local US address (make sure it is a street address, not a PO box). The State your address is in or place does not matter as long as it in the US.
- You fill a change of address form at post office fill online informing USPS that you have a new address where you mail should be delivered.
- Your mail and items start arriving at the mail forwarding company. The mail forwarding company then uploads the items to your online virtual mailbox.
- You see those items online and decide what you want to do with them. Depending on the features offered by the mail forwarding provider, you can get mail opened and scanned or shipped, get items packed together and shipped, discard any junk mail etc.
What to look for in a mail forwarding service?
Unlocking the mystery of mail forwarding services: here are 10 things you should look for in a mail forwarding service.
There are many, many companies out there that offer mail forwarding services. Before we tell you about all our research, here is a word of caution: never sign up for one from Craigslist or such services. These might be scammers trying to get your mail!
What to look for when signing up with a mail forwarding company?
Of course, we think we are the best but you should look around and choose one that will work best for you. We want you to choose us only if we are a good fit for you. When shopping around, look for:
- Reputation: how long has the company been around, BBB rating, reviews, how secure is your mail with them
- Prices: how upfront and clear is their pricing, how competitive are their shipping rates.
- Plans: do they offer comprehensive plans for your/your family?
- Shipping Rates: This is a biggie! And can add up your costs significantly. Check if the service charges “retail” shipping rates meaning they don’t give you any discount on shipping and keep the discounts they get from shippers like UPS, FedEX, DHL etc for themselves?
Or do they offer you discounted shipping rates so you can ship for a lot less when you need to ship your mail or other items to yourself.
- Customer service: do they have a way for you to talk to them, do they have live phone and chat support, or is it a bot and what is the email response time? When you need a shipment to sent out asap or when you need a mail piece scanned within the hour, this matters a lot.
At US Global Mail, we ship all requests received by 1pm the same day. And our email response times are usually less than 4 hours.
We did a comparison of the more popular mail forwarding companies to see how they stack up against each other. You can see the info pasted below and a larger chart here.